Friday, September 13, 2013

Magnification and The Law

Attending the AACC (American Association of Christian Counselors) Conference in Nashville, I unexpectedly heard Tullian Tjividian (Billy Graham's grandson) speak on Law and Grace.  Not a new topic for me, having recently completed Andy Stanley's series on The Brand Christian.  But Pastor Tullian's words won't leave me alone.  I woke up at 5:30 a.m. repeating the concept of his message over and over - The Law (truth) - gives for me a reflection of my imperfect reflection, my condition.  Grace (Love) is the remedy, my redemption.  He made a connection for me (again) of Jesus' Sermon on The Mount.  Phil Yancey had pointed out for me years ago, that Jesus message there wasn't a list for me of things to do - it was to show me all of the things I couldn't do.  How no matter how I try, I cannot live up to The Law.

Maybe this is the reason I have so much trouble with Law "driven" theology.  I woke up thinking about how God's law is like a magnifying glass.  In my "older" age, I love a magnifying glass mirror.  Without one I have trouble putting on my contacts so I can see.  It shows me where to put on my make up because I can't see where to draw my eyes or blend in the smudges.  But some times my magnified mirror can be harsh - I see things (wrinkles) I don't want to see.  Maybe when you were a kid, you played with a magnifying glass, reflecting the sun through it just right so you could zapp an ant.  (Burn it up!)   I always hated that - poor little ants just doing their jobs and poof they're melted.   For me, the Law is like that magnifying glass in God's hands and in my poor understanding of who God is, I just imagine him looking at all my flaws and imperfections and because He is The Light, I get burned up by it - smoldered.  Sometimes I think others take the Law (the magnifying glass) and aim it at others, zapping them like ants.

But reflecting on Pastor Tullian's words, I am reminded that I need the Law  just like I need that magnifying glass to see.  The Law (truth) brings clarity to my life and to my condition.  Without the Law, I would be oblivious to my condition.  John Ortberg reminded us at the conference that we are "as the grass and all flesh wither and die"  Isa. 40: 6-8.  He pointed out however, that God has placed eternity in the human heart.  Ecc 3:11.  John stated in his message that we (humans) are disoriented.  That disoriented cultures lead to disoriented people.  And he made an interesting observation, in John 1:1 the "Word was made flesh" - Jesus was made flesh and would become "disoriented" ("Father, Why have you foresaken me?" sounds pretty disoriented to me) and as with flesh would wither and die as a part of plan. Made flesh to show me that I have a condition. Made flesh to show me that he understands my condition.  Made flesh to rescue me from my condition.  I need a remedy and Jesus is my redemption!  It's easier for me to look at Love and Grace than the Law and Pastor Tullian said we often don't believe or allow that Grace (Love)  to be enough to do the trick - to "fix" people, to fix us.  John Aldridge wrapped it up in his message to us that Jesus "renews and restores all things".  He will fix this, It is His promise!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment