Saturday, January 12, 2013


Do you ever get into to those “debates” with your friends and family over whatever issue is the topic of the day?  There’s so many to choose from these days: politics, gun control, prayer in schools, abortion, gay marriage…we all have an opinion on how it all fits with our religion and our values. 

It’s funny how quickly we can “take our position” and we want to convince others so desperately on what we believe.  It’s weird though, because I thought I understood what I believed and valued on some of these subjects until I actually “heard myself”.  Something happened the other night when I was trying to “build a case” for “my opinion”.   I feel like it was God, challenging me on what I say I believe. 

On any of the issues – I’m never an “extremist” – I really do try look at a middle ground – but sometimes it feels like I’m a “loner” on what I think on whatever topic is at hand.  But when I try to imagine Jesus plopped down into the conversations or “debates”, if you will; What would he be saying?  Oh man, I would love to sit in on that discussion.  We’d all get schooled. 

The people of Jesus day, really wanted Jesus to take on the government (Romans) and the “issues” of his day. (Funny, huh?  The two big powers of Jesus’ day were the government and the religious leaders).  The people were looking for a “Messiah” a battle king to overthrow the government (his disciples were so convinced of this they were picking out “thrones” and arguing over who will sit where) and on the day he entered the city of Jerusalem “on a donkey” (a symbol of peace), they were all there “cheering” him on expecting him to head straight to the palace to teach that government a lesson.

 But what did he do?  He headed straight to the synagogue (the church of his day) and he “purged” it – with a whip!!!  He was concerned about how the church was persecuting those who came to worship in the temple courts.  What?  With so many issues wrong in that day with the government – he went to discipline the church??  In those temple courts, he warned of a time when so much more persecution was coming for the “chicks he longed to gather under his wings” and protect – but he knew they would not have it.  Don’t you find it just a little ironic if you were to place it in the context of today? 

Jesus’ course of action – his solution to the problem – suffering and sacrifice and love.

Your blessed if you hunger and thirst for righteousness, if you're merciful to others, if you’re a peacemaker, if people insult you and say evil against you for his sake – “rejoice and be glad (if these things happen to you) for your reward in heaven is great”.  (Matthew 5: 3 – 12).    (Suffering)

“I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”  John 10:11 and Matthew 6:20  “Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”   (Sacrifice)   

John 13:35  “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”  and Mark 12:33 “To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”  (Love)

 I am CONVINCED that God is still in control – and if God is in control – he can use any circumstance to bring about his good purpose.
 What does it mean to be a disciple in THIS culture – in this hour – when media exploits our innocence and tosses out our values?  What does it look like to love – when there are those who murder and destroy in our most vulnerable places?  And what does it mean to sacrifice and to know that you will suffer because you are a disciple – when we feel God has been removed from our public lives?
I don’t know the answer to any of the issues facing us in these critical times.  But maybe our focus should be on “God” Control more than “gun” control!  I think it starts with me – as an individual – how have I sought God’s direction in these tough questions?    How am I living my life as a disciple of Jesus? 

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”  Jeremiah 29:13
Matthew 7:7 “Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, Knock and the door will be opened to you.”  Ohh, if I could only live it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment